Today is the International Day of the Girl, bringing awareness to the needs of girls around the world and encouraging us to advocate for their education and empowerment.
So why do we need an International Day of the Girl? This is why.
1. Globally, 66 million girls out of school. (UNESCO)
2. 80% of all human trafficking victims are girls. (UNFPA)
3. There are 33 million fewer girls than boys in primary school (Education First)
4. 75% of AIDS cases in sub-Saharan Africa—the region hardest hit by the disease—are women and girls. (UNAIDS)
5. In a single year, an estimated 150 million girls are victims of sexual violence. (UNIFEM)
6. 50% of all the sexual assaults in the world are on girls under 15. (UNFPA)
7. 14 million girls under 18 will be married this year; 38 thousand today; 13 girls in the last 30 seconds. (UNFPA)
8. The #1…
View original post 185 more words